Re: Deleting a check option

From: Roy Brokvam <roy.brokvam_at_conax.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 18:25:37 +0100

Peter Poldervaart wrote in message <7cth9d$cnu$1_at_freyja.bart.nl>...
>I'm right now defining a database in Oracle 8. Now a would like to add
>constraints to my tables for which I use the ALTER TABLE XXX ADD CHECK
>field1 < field 2 or something. Now I would like to know if it is possible
>give a name to this constraint so that it is possible to remove this
>constraint in the future without having to remove the whole table.
>
>Peter P.
>p.poldervaart_at_wxs.nl

In Oracle 7, "anonymous" constraints are removed like this (I assume it's the same in Oracle 8):

As the table owner,

select constraint_name,search_condition from user_constraints
where table_name = 'XXX'
and constraint_type = 'C';

Look through the search_conditions to find your constraint_name

Let's say it's SYS_C012345 ("anonymous" constraints are given a system-generated name)

alter table xxx
drop constraint sys_c012345;

(Also, in Oracle 7) If you want to name a constraint, you must do so when creating it:

alter table xxx
add constraint xxx_f1_lt_f2_ck check( field1 < field2 );

alter table xxx
drop constraint xxx_f1_lt_f2_ck;

Regards,

Roy Brokvam
roy.brokvam_at_conax.com Received on Fri Mar 19 1999 - 11:25:37 CST