Urgent Please: JDBC Positioned Updates over ODBC - problem

From: Real R. Bedard <realb_at_helixdp.com>
Date: 18 Mar 1999 16:04:24 GMT

I have a problem with Personal Oracle 8 using JDBC-ODBC bridge.

I have a program that works great when using the same JDBC-ODBC bridge to MS SQL Server but fails for Oracle 8.

I'm establishing a connection, creating a statement such as "SELECT * FROM MYTABLE FOR UPDATE" Then, on the same connection, I create a preparedStatement such as "UPDATE MYTABLE SET COL='x' WHERE CURRENT OF xxx". (I get the cursor name using ResultSet.getCursorName().)

The update fails with "ORA-00936: missing expression" I suspect the "CURRENT OF " clause?

I stress that this same code works with MS SQL Server.

I tried setting autocommit(false) - no difference. I'm using the "SYSTEM" user id.
The ODBC data source is NOT "read-only". The JDBC driver reports that "positioned updates" are supported. Other "non-positioned" updates such as "UPDATE MYTABLE SET COL='X' WHERE OTHERCOL='Y'" does work fine.
The select selected only one row that was retrieved (using rs.getxxx() and the cursor is still sitting on it), rs.next() has not been performed yet.

I stress that this same code works with MS SQL Server.

Any ideas?

Your assistance is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Real R. Bedard
realb_at_helixdp.com

PS: I have a demo of this using PO8 next week and must get this working. Received on Thu Mar 18 1999 - 10:04:24 CST