Re: SQL PLUS Question

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 15:39:52 GMT

A copy of this was sent to amerar_at_unsu.com (Arthur Merar) (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sat, 13 Mar 1999 23:58:11 GMT, you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a simple query that I wrote. It pulls records from one table
>and inserts them into another. I needed to name each field because
>the fields are not in the same order in each table.
>
>Anyhow, the query runs for about 30 seconds then I get the following
>error:
>
>ORA-03113 End of file on communications channel
>
>What is this? I get knocked out of SQL PLUS. Here is a copy of the
>insert statement.
>
>insert into cash_man.ej1_art (TRANDATETIME,

when i run your insert in 7.1, 7.3 and 8.0, I get:

  select (TRANDATETIME,

                      *

ERROR at line 83:
ORA-00907: missing right parenthesis

The syntax is wrong. don't know why you are getting a 3113 which means the Oracle backend failed (you should have a trace file on the database server with an internal error message and stack dump).

In any event, the syntax of your insert is wrong. You have something like:

insert into T ( c ) select ( v from T2 );

it should be:

insert into T ( c ) select v from T2;

loose the second set of parens inside the select.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Sun Mar 14 1999 - 09:39:52 CST