Re: Create schema without a user?

From: Guy Pardoe <Info_at_PardoeOnline.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 13:50:14 GMT

I am trying to do the same thing (I think).

I can create a user and not give it 'create session' privileges, but I then want to grant privileges to other roles/users and I seem to be unable to do that unless I am logged in as the new user.

For instance, while I am logged in as SYSTEM, I can create a new user named 'ABCDATA', and a new table 'TABLE1'. From the Schema manager (on NT) I can see and modify the schema entry ABCDATA.TABLE1.

But any attempts to grant privileges to other roles or users comes back with the error message 'Insufficient Privileges'

What am I doing wrong here?

My intention is that other users [through my app] should be able to access ABCDATA.TABLE1.

Am I pursuing the right strategy or is there a better way?

For instance, I recently saw one example of create the schema for an app while logged in as a DBA and then creating Public Synonyms for every object. Is that a better way to do it or does that assume very lax security?

Guy Pardoe
Pardoe Development Corporation Received on Mon Mar 08 1999 - 07:50:14 CST