Oracel Client on BSD UNIX

From: Andrew Fleming <f236_at_scatcat.fhsu.edu>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 04:50:57 GMT

First thanks in advance for any ideas anyone might have.

I have an Oracle 7 running on a Windows box. I want to upload data that is in a text file on a BSD UNIX box to the Oracle database, on a regular schedule. I also want to get information from the Oracle database and save in a text file on the UNIX machine on a regular schedule.

Are there any C, C++, or Perl libraries for connecting to an Oracle database running on another machine. So far what I have found for Visual C++ looks like it is only for Windows machines and can't be used on UNIX. The UNIX stuff I have found looks like it is for the machine that has the server on it. Am I missing something?

Do I need a client like SQL-net on the UNIX machine? I have not found a version of Oracle for BSD. Should I just enable Lynx support on my BSD machine and try installing the Lynx version of Oracle, and cross me fingers.

If so what all do I need to install? I don't want to run the server on UNIX only connect to it as a client.

Any help, ideas or suggestions would be a great help

Thanks

Andrew Fleming
f236_at_scatcat.fhsu.edu Received on Fri Mar 05 1999 - 22:50:57 CST