LONG datatypes - what's the trick?

From: Paul A. Horan <paulh_at_nospam.twoplus.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 09:45:34 -0500

I have two tables, each defined with a primary key, and a single column of LONG datatype. These are simple long text columns, designed to store copious notes

Why can't I say:
UPDATE table2
  set table2.long_col =
    (Select table1.long_col

       where table1.primary_key = table2.primary_key )  WHERE exists
   (Select 1

      from table1
     where table1.primary_key = table2.primary_key) ;

The error message I'm getting is:
ORA-00997: illegal use of LONG datatype

Is this kind of update statement not allowed? What are my options here?

Paul Horan Received on Thu Mar 04 1999 - 08:45:34 CST