Re: Table Manipulation

From: Robert H. Thompson <rthomp41_at_ford.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 08:56:34 -0500

John (Yogi) Allen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am very much an Oracle beginner, but I have inherited a web program that uses a database so I'm looking for a little help with:
>
> 1) What commands will add/delete tables?

Use create table - to create a table i.e

    create table temp (

       field1          varchar2(10),
       field2          number,
       field3          long

    );

    commit; - this will commit (create the table in the database)

Use drop table - to delete or remove a table i.e

    drop table temp;

    commit;

Use truncate table - to empty a table and retain the table in the

                     database

    truncate table temp;

    commit;

> 2) How can I list existing table field names and details?

Use desc to show the table structure.

desc temp;

It would be benefical to you to purchase an Oracle reference book. Any of the DBA books from Osbourne or O'Reilly will really help you out. The Complete Oracle Reference is a good place to start along with a good SQL book. Joe Cielko SQL for Smarties is very good.

> Unfortunately, I have no direct access to the database, only through > Javascript, and no documentation :-(

There are a lot of views that you could use. The Oracle Complete reference documents a lot of them. You don't say what the specific need is but this book will help you out. If you are going to have DBA type duties you may need to have someone set up an account in the database for you with DBA priveleges or some type of developers account with the priveleges that you need.

> Is this kind of info available on a web site anywhere?

Oracle Meta Link http://support.oracle.com/MetaLink/ Oracle Technology Network http://technet.oracle.com/ Oracle Assist http://www.oracleassist.com/ OraPerl http://www.omix.com/~hphan/tutorial/ Oracle Fans http://www.oraclefans.com/

Hope this helps

Rob Thompson
DBA
Ford Motor Company