Re: Valid characters for usernames and passwords

From: John Koo <johnkoo_at_whale.i-wave.net>
Date: 24 Feb 1999 04:11:44 GMT

Hi Tim,

  a valid oracle username cannot be a reserved word, cannot contain only multiple-byte cahracter(s). It cannot start with numeral and cannot contain quotation mark.   You 've better not to use "$" ,"@" and "+", "-","/" and "." and "," and "<" or ">". The length should not be longer than 30 chars.

Remember username is not case-sensitive. password rule is similar to naming rule but should not contain multi-byte chrs.

John

Tim Shute (Tshute_at_nospamnisoft.co.uk) wrote:
: Hello all,

: Does anyone know (or point me to the place to find out) what ASCII
: characters are valid / invalid for usernames and passwords? We are
: assigning passwords to people programmatically via our own application
: and need to know the character rules.

: TIA
: --
: Tim Shute
: Software Engineering Manager

: NiSoft (UK) Limited
: Unit 8, 31 Ballynahinch Road, Carryduff, BELFAST BT8 8EH
: Internet: www.nisoft.co.uk