Re: Help setting up an Oracle DB

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_ictgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 08:45:16 -0500

Hi Tony,

    Create one Oracle instance with several tablespaces (what you are calling a database). You should have separate tablespaces for:

     System tables (default name is SYSTEM),     Temporary tables Oracle uses for sorting, etc (default name is TEMPORARY),
    Rollback segments (default name is RBS),     Oracle and 3rd party tools (default name is TOOLS),     Development user work space (default name is USERS),     Production data (one or more tablespaces depending on nature of apps),     Index data (one or more tablespaces depending on nature of apps).

If you want performance each of the above should be on a separate disk drive and, depending on the nature of the application you may want more than one drive for both data and indexes.

regards

Jerry