Re: Oracle Terabyte or more experiences....

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 09:00:24 -0000

I've put up one at 1TB and another at 4TB, doing completely different tasks, and designed with virtually no overlap in between Oracle features

My feeling is that there are features in Oracle which can be extremely helpful for this size of database if you can decide which features are appropriate, and how best to use them.

As a couple of generally useful features, I suggest you allow a lot of space for TEMP, try to work out a design that allows a lot of the database to become read-only, and use the smallest discs you can squeeze out of the accounts department if you think you are going to thrash a lot of data.

Jonathan Lewis

    Steve Perry wrote in message <36CF8DAD.499BB393_at_sprynet.com>...     Is anyone running Oracle with a size of terabyte or more???     We're going to be building a data warehouse soon with 2 terabytes + = of raw data. Oracle gave us a couple of companies to contact, but I = thought I'd ask here because I usually get to hear the good and bad.

    I'm really interested in how satisfied you are, what mistakes you = made, what things you did to make it a success, hardware configuration, = special Oracle parameters that has helped, backup software...

    We currently use Oracle 8.0.5 and AIX on IBM S70s. We also have a = couple of E10Ks, but they're new and we're pretty much a "true blue" = shop.

    Thanks,
    Steve