Oracle / Web lockups

From: Jen Skripac <skripac_at_mainstreams.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 18:47:01 GMT

Any suggestions or hints would be welcome...

I've recently inherited maintenance chores for a web-app that utilizes ASP to run queries on an Oracle backend. I'm relatively versed in ASP, but an Oracle novice.

We frequently run into problems with the application hanging indefinitely (requiring a reboot of the server, which is *a bad thing*).

Best guess of what seems to be initiating the lock-ups is either:

  1. Multiple queries coming at the server at the same time. (I lock the program up pretty easily when I'm testing browser compatibility (jumping back and forth a lot between an instance running on IE4 and one running in Netscape without being careful that the procedure is finished in one browser before starting it in the other browser.)
  2. Hitting "Stop" or otherwise leaving the page after a query has been sent off to Oracle but before the results have come back. (i.e. Start running a report, decide it's taking too long, so go on to something else.)

Can anyone offer any pointers or suggestions on where I might look for solutions?

Thanks for any help.
Jennifer Skripac
(skripac_at_mainstreams.com) Received on Fri Feb 19 1999 - 12:47:01 CST