Re: UTL_FILE PACKAGE HELP PLEASE

From: Arjan van Bentem <avbentem_at_DONT-YOU-DAREdds.nl>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 21:42:16 +0100

Rosemary Bernardo wrote
>the message INVALID OPERATION every so often.

>Has anyone ever experienced any problems with
>UTL_FILE package on Oracle 7.3?

Yes, when trying to append to a non-existing file on WinNT, in spite of what the docs say... More likely: your file permissions or directory permissions are not OK. Remember that OS user oracle needs access to the files, not the actual database user.

When are you having those errors? During opening, writing, reading? As far as I know, you should expect the following exceptions:

When opening a file for reading: utl_file.invalid_path, utl_file.invalid_mode, utl_file.invalid_operation (will also be raised if file system permissions are not OK)

When opening a file for writing: utl_file.invalid_path, utl_file.invalid_mode, utl_file.invalid_operation (will also be raised if file system permissions are not OK, or on WinNT server when trying to Append to a non-existing file)

When writing to a file: utl_file.invalid_filehandle, utl_file.invalid_operation, utl_file.write_error

When reading from a file: utl_file.invalid_filehandle, utl_file.invalid_operation, utl_file.read_error

When closing a file: utl_file.invalid_filehandle, utl_file.write_error

When using fflush: utl_file.invalid_filehandle, utl_file.invalid_operation, utl_file.write_error

Arjan. Received on Wed Feb 17 1999 - 14:42:16 CST