Re: Oracle 8 NLS Characterset

From: <jimg_ppg_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 20:15:14 GMT

In article <36A122CF.60A2EC25_at_tumbleweed.com>,   Christophe Galerne <christophe_at_tumbleweed.com> wrote:
> Hi --
>
> jimg_ppg_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:
> >
> > I am in the process of developing an Oracle 8 database on an HP UNIX server.
> > I would like to store text in the database in multiple languages which
> > include, but is not limited to, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, French, Spanish
> > and of course American English. My question(s) is this: Is there a single
NLS
> > Characterset value that I can use that will accommodate all these languages
> > characters and accent marks? If so, what is the setting? If not, how many
> > database instances must I create to accommodate all and what settings will
> > accommodate what language?
>
> Well there are two cases:
>
> - Common part for the two case:
>
> * install Oracle using the character encoding AL24UTFFSS for Ora7.3.4 or
> even better UTF8 for oracle 8.0. (see National Language Support)
>
> - Your client must able to manage several languages:
>
> Then the client must define, in its environment, the variable NLS_LANG to
> <whatever>_<whatever>.AL24UTFFSS
> For example: setenv NLS_LANG 'AMERICAN_AMERICA.AL24UTFFSS'
>
> And you have to do the translation between the client and oracle by hand.
>
> - Your client see only one of the languages
>
> Then the client define the same variable to the correct value and oracle will
> translate, on the fly, from AL24UTFFSS to the given encoding.
> For example: setenv NSL_LANG 'FRENCH_fr.WE8ISO8859P1'
>
> Our application is using Oracle 7.3.4 on Solaris and is able to manage all
> the language that you are talking about. We have to do the translation on
> our own.
>
> See National Language Support for all the possible values.
>
> Hope it helps.
>
> Christophe
>
> Christophe L. Galerne cgalerne_at_tumbleweed.com
> Software Engineer Tel : (650) 569 3683
> Tumbleweed Software Corp. http://www.tumbleweed.com
> 2010 Broadway Street Redwood City, CA 94063
> "La générosité légendaire des Corses se vérifie une fois encore,
> malgré les tabous attachés au don du sperme" Corse-Matin

Christophe,
Thank you for your help. I have created a new Oracle8 db using NLS_CHARACTERSET UTF8. However, I am encountering a problem when I wish to link tables from it to Micosoft's Access97. The tables appear to link correctly but, when I attempt to open the table and view the data, I get an ODBC call error that simply says"ODBC Call Failed.". I am using Oracle's ODBC driver 8.0.3.0.2. My client NLS_LANG setting is American_America.WE8ISO8859P1. Do I need to set something else on my client? Do I need a different version of the ODBC driver?

Thank you in advance.
Jim