Re: Install-Package for ODBC-access to an Oracle 7 database

From: Phil Caskanette <caskanet_at_mc1adm.UWaterloo.ca>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 14:56:58 -0500

Franziska Doering wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> I'm trying to create an installation package for our users here. The goal is
> to have everything (Sqlnet, ODBC, Configuration) in one executable file.
>
> We tried to use the Software Manager by Oracle, but all Hosts had the status
> "unavailable" and our local Oracle Support here couldn't help.
>
> Another way could be to use WinZip SelfExtractor and to zip all necessary
> files, but then I have to update the registry by myself and this is pretty
> dangerous. Does anybody has a better idea? Or - that would be really
> wonderful - has such a package already?
>
> Any help is very, very welcome.

For SQL*Net and some other applications, our IS people exported the parts of the registry that were updated during an installation. You can double click the exported registry file during subsequent installations on workstations and the Windows registry files will be updated correctly. So this is a two step process: -Run a DOS batch file that copies the needed files off an NT server. Or you can zip the files and an included DOS batch file moves the files to the needed directories.
-Double click on the exported registry file to update the Windows registry.

The down side is that users have no control over the place that the program files are stored, and anything already in the standard named directories with the same file names will be overwritten unless you put lots of error checking statements in the batch file.

We're looking for a way to do this in one step, so if you find a solution, let me know. I suppose you could learn to do this using the Windows setup tools that vendors use, or Visual Basic.

--

Phil Caskanette                 |  e-mail: caskanet_at_UWaterloo.ca
Senior Auditor                  |  phone:  (519) 888-4567 x2774

Disclaimer: All expressed opinions are mine, and are not necessarily the views of my employer. Received on Wed Feb 03 1999 - 13:56:58 CST