java.sql.SQLException: Bigger type length than Maximum

From: Steven Skovran <skovran_at_goto.com>
Date: 1999/01/30

Good Morning!
  I am using JDK 1.1.5 and the Oracle 7 JDBCThin Driver. Occasionally, when selecting from tables which change only once a day, I get the following SQL Exception:
 java.sql.SQLException: Bigger type length than Maximum I cannot force this exception to occur. I have read that this is related to
attempting to read values in VARCHAR2 columns which are longer than the defined size
of the column. (This can happen when using direct path loading.) I have run max(length()) against all my VARCHAR2 columns and I find that they are all within their defined limits. ( I have, in other tables, found max(length()) to be greater
than the defined length after a bad load, so I belive the the negative result. )
  Has anyone come across this error? Do you have any recommendations?

  Thank you,
    Steven Skovran Received on Sat Jan 30 1999 - 00:00:00 CST