Re: maximum size

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 01:31:35 GMT

A copy of this was sent to sfox180089_at_aol.com (SFox180089) (if that email address didn't require changing) On 27 Jan 1999 23:24:00 GMT, you wrote:

>I know it is somewhere in the tombs of oracle... Does any one knows
>the maximum size a oracle database could be... Also the maximum size and still
>have good performance?? max number of threads?
>Steven.fox@ dfas.mil

In 7.x it is around 32 terabytes depending on OS limits (1022 max data files, 32 gig files).

Practically, it depends on the OS, size of machine, etc.

In 8.x it is something like 512 petabytes (in theory) or some really huge number.

64k tablespaces * 1022 files/tablespace * 32gig/file...

again, reasonable performance is a factor of the OS and all.

by max number of threads, I assume you mean connections. again, depending on the OS and implementation, its in the 10's of thousands (50, 60 thousand)... To achieve connection counts like this demands pretty large hardware (clusters, connection pooling and so on) but can be done.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Wed Jan 27 1999 - 19:31:35 CST