Re: maximum size

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 12:54:28 GMT

>A copy of this was sent to sfox180089_at_aol.com (SFox180089)
>(if that email address didn't require changing)
>On 27 Jan 1999 23:24:00 GMT, you wrote:
>

>>I know it is somewhere in the tombs of oracle... Does any one knows
>>the maximum size a oracle database could be... Also the maximum size and still
>>have good performance?? max number of threads?
>>Steven.fox@ dfas.mil
>>

>In 7.x it is around 32 terabytes depending on OS limits (1022 max data files, 32
>gig files).
>
>Practically, it depends on the OS, size of machine, etc.
>
>In 8.x it is something like 512 petabytes (in theory) or some really huge
>number.
>
>64k tablespaces * 1022 files/tablespace * 32gig/file...

it was pointed out (correctly) that i didn't put all the information here....

you can have 64k tablespaces.
each tablespace can have 64k files
but.... the database may have X files (where X is a function of the block size).

For example, on NT with 8.0.4:

Oracle block size: 16 Kb
Maximum blocks per datafile: 4 million Maximum datafiles per database - depends on block size

- 20,000 datafiles for 2 Kb Oracle block size
- 40,000 datafiles for 4 Kb Oracle block size
- 65,536 datafiles for >= 8 Kb Oracle block size
Largest datafile: 64 Gb (assuming 16 Kb Oracle block size) Largest database: 4 Pb (Petabytes

(in theory...)

>again, reasonable performance is a factor of the OS and all.
>

>by max number of threads, I assume you mean connections. again, depending on
>the OS and implementation, its in the 10's of thousands (50, 60 thousand)... To
>achieve connection counts like this demands pretty large hardware (clusters,
>connection pooling and so on) but can be done.
>
>Thomas Kyte
>tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
>Oracle Service Industries
>Reston, VA USA

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Thu Jan 28 1999 - 06:54:28 CST