Re: Remote insert actioned before local update ???

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 19:30:48 -0000

Pretty hopeless trying to guess the right problem from a brief description of a non-trivial bit of code. However my first guess is a test in your code of the type:

    if (some_value != 0) then

         xxx
    else /* the bit you want done when value is zero) */

        xxx
    endif

If some_value is actually null, then the '!=' test results in 'null', which is not the same as false, so the ELSE takes place when you are not expecting it.

For example, check the following anonymous PL/SQL

set serveroutput on
declare
x number ;
begin
if (x != 0) then

    dbms_output.put_line('Not 0');
else

    dbms_output.put_Line('0');
end if;
end;
/

It appears to say ' if X is not zero , then say so, otherwise tell me it is' However when you run it, the output is: '0'

Jonathan Lewis