Re: help Newbie trying to create database & tablespace using trial ver 7 person

From: Ewan Parker <ewan_at_chimera.u-net.com>
Date: 24 Jan 99 19:07:30 +0500

On 24-Jan-99 22:11:29, Derek & Denise Acres said about help Newbie trying to create database & tablespace using trial ver 7 personal Oracle:
> I am a student trying to develop an application using an oracle 7 database

> I am logged in as 'SYS' and the directory structure has already been
> created(not the files though)

> doesn't like line 3 of create database.

> any suggestions?

> can you see any problems with the create tablespace code?

> Create Database

> CREATE DATABASE FTG
> LOGFILE 'C:\path\filename','C:\path\filename','C:\path\filename',
> MAXLOGFILES 3,
> MAXLOGMEMBERS 3,
> DATAFILE 'C:\path\filename','C:\path\filename

> Create Tablespace

> CREATE TABLESPACE SYSTEM
> DATAFILE 'C:\path\filename',
> DEFAULT STORAGE(INITIAL 2M, NEXT 2M);
The system tablespace would automatically be comprised of the datafiles specified in the create database command above.

A datafile specification for a non-existent file must indicate the initial size so Oracle can create it. This applies to the log files as well as the database datafile and the tablespace datafiles, eg. "DATAFILE 'c:\path\filename' SIZE 20M". The default storage clause applies to segments created within the datafiles, if this is what was causing the confusion.

> CREATE TABLESPACE INDEXES
> DATAFILE 'C:\path\filename',
> DEFAULT STORAGE(INITIAL 2M, NEXT 2M),
> MAXEXTENTS UNLIMITED);
[snip other tablespaces]

Regards,
Ewan.

--
<mailto:ewan_at_chimera.u-net.com> Received on Sun Jan 24 1999 - 08:07:30 CST