Re: Character set

From: Mike Burden <michael.burden_at_capgemini.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 09:24:47 +0000

The Character set can be changed from 7 bit to 8 bit as long as the first 127 bytes are the same for both character sets. For instance, we changed from USASCII7 to WE8ISO8859P9 without any problem. If you have exports you should refresh these once you've changed to the new character set as they will contain only the first 7 bits of any character.

Oracle produce a document 105600.874 that talks/walks you through the change. I would recommend you get this from Oracle support.

Reading it you simply need to issue:

UPDATE SYS.PROP$
SET VALUE$ = 'WE8ISO08859P1'
WHERE NAME = 'NLS_CHARACTERSET'; Commit the change and stop and start the database and prey.

Get it wrong though and it may never come back so make sure you've got a full backup!!!!

All the best......