Re: HELP: Oracle limitations on the web

From: <toneczar_at_erols.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 22:34:09 GMT

bonanos_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> > I am setting up a site using Oracle and ASP. This site could have as many
as
> > couple thousand DB hits in a few hours. We are using stored procedures and
> > views. (I'm going to try and get away from the views. I've been told they
> can
> > slow down the query).
> >
> > My question is this: What does Oracle do if I make one (or more) request
once
> > all the licenses are full? If the system can handle 20 concurrent users,
what
> > happens when 50 users try to hit it? We have MTS/MSMQ available to us.
Does
> > it make sense to put the connections in MTS/MSMQ or ever move the stored
> > procedures there?
>
> I don't think this is a problem, when I first started out on an Oracle web
> project I asked the Oracle salesman and he said that if we exceed the number
> of concurrent users it would not kick them off

Not exactly true. If you have the init.ora parameter "license_max_sessions" set to 0 (zero) then that is true. If you have it set to say, 20, then the 21st user will be "denied". There is also a "license_max_warning = <x>" feature that writes a warning (only) to the alert log if the value is exceeded.

In a web environment, oftentimes the sessions are opened and closed very very quickly, and so the concurrent sessions are not as high as you might think. Multi-Threaded Server (MTS) though is a great option for reducing overhead as sessions are constructed and demolished rapidly.

Chris

Chris Hamilton -- toneczar_at_erols.com
http://www.serve.com/cowpb/chamilton.html City of Washington Pipe Band