Re: HELP: Oracle limitations on the web

From: Diznick <diznick_at_aol.com>
Date: 18 Jan 1999 19:52:30 GMT

That's great help, thanks Chris. I just have a couple questions on what you wrote. If setting license_max_sessions to zero allows unlimited people in, then what is the downside of doing it? And why would I maybe not want to set it?

I haven't used Oracle much at all. How would I setup Multi-Threaded Server, and does it come with Oracle?

Thanks for your help,

Josh
>> > I am setting up a site using Oracle and ASP. This site could have as
0.001441>0
many
>as
>> > couple thousand DB hits in a few hours. We are using stored procedures
>and
>> > views. (I'm going to try and get away from the views. I've been told
>they
>> can
>> > slow down the query).
>> >
>> > My question is this: What does Oracle do if I make one (or more) request
>once
>> > all the licenses are full? If the system can handle 20 concurrent users,
>what
>> > happens when 50 users try to hit it? We have MTS/MSMQ available to us.
>Does
>> > it make sense to put the connections in MTS/MSMQ or ever move the stored
>> > procedures there?
>>
>> I don't think this is a problem, when I first started out on an Oracle web
>> project I asked the Oracle salesman and he said that if we exceed the
>number
>> of concurrent users it would not kick them off
>
>Not exactly true. If you have the init.ora parameter "license_max_sessions"
>set to 0 (zero) then that is true. If you have it set to say, 20, then the
>21st user will be "denied". There is also a "license_max_warning = <x>"
>feature that writes a warning (only) to the alert log if the value is
>exceeded.
>
>In a web environment, oftentimes the sessions are opened and closed very very
>quickly, and so the concurrent sessions are not as high as you might think.
>Multi-Threaded Server (MTS) though is a great option for reducing overhead as
>sessions are constructed and demolished rapidly.
>
>Chris

Joshua Rudin
Consultant, Webman, and just a hell of a nice guy! jrudin_at_hotmail.com Received on Mon Jan 18 1999 - 13:52:30 CST