Re: ConText and base_letter

From: Honza Pazdziora <adelton_at_fi.muni.cz>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 15:56:14 GMT

> > The problem is that you are not setting the NLS_LANG environment
> > variable in the session where you're starting the ConText server.
> > What is the NLS_LANG setting on the server??
>
> I have
> export NLS_LANG=czech_czechoslovakia.EE8ISO8859P2
>
> in both the shell where I start the
>
> ctxsrv -user ctxsys/ctxsys -personality DQM -log ctx.log

And this seems to be the problem. In the shell where the ctxsrv is started, the NLS_LANG has to be set to the base value, so for me it's

        NLS_LANG=american_america.US7ASCII

Otherwise, the ConText server doesn't know to which charset to strip the diacritics. Unsetting the variable also works. Setting it (especially setting it to the value same as is the charset of the database) is not wise as with this the base_letter indexing doesn't work. I do not know why it worked for Joel -- maybe the behaviour changed between versions.

Thanks go to the Oracle Czech Support who pointed me to the possiblity that the base charset is unknown, and it really was the case.

 Honza Pazdziora | adelton@fi.muni.cz | http://www.fi.muni.cz/~adelton/

                Boycott the Czech Telecom -- www.bojkot.cz