Re: ConText and base_letter

From: Honza Pazdziora <adelton_at_fi.muni.cz>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 16:28:26 GMT

On Wed, 06 Jan 1999 14:35:23 GMT, Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com> wrote:
> The problem is that you are not setting the NLS_LANG environment
> variable in the session where you're starting the ConText server.
> What is the NLS_LANG setting on the server??

I have

        export NLS_LANG=czech_czechoslovakia.EE8ISO8859P2

in both the shell where I start the

        ctxsrv -user ctxsys/ctxsys -personality DQM -log ctx.log

and in the shell where I start my sqlplus. I can see Czech answers like your example shows. I do not have this settings when starting the actual Oracle server however -- do I need it there as well? Which setting is actually relevant? For client, ctx server or both?

> Ensure that you are setting the NLS_LANG parameter correctly and that
> the language is supported by the character-set installed for the
> database.

I hope Czech and iso-8859-2 should be friends.

> Your example works fine for me (Oracle8 8.0.5, ConText 2.4.5 on
> Solaris 2.6):

Well, maybe my version of ConText is too old?

> --------
> Wed Jan 6 09:08:28 EST 1999
> oracle_at_bulldog:/tmp
> setenv NLS_LANG czech_czechoslovakia.EE8ISO8859P2

Do you have some other NLS settings that might be of some relevance?

> SQL> select count(*) from ctx_test1 where contains(doc,'leta',1) > 0;
>
> COUNT(*)
> 3

Upto here the answers in sqlplus are the same, here I get 1.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help. You've at least showed that I understood the docs correctly to a point where the SQL code is teoretically OK. On the other hand, I cannot see what else I should do to change things to work.

Sincerely,

--

 Honza Pazdziora | adelton@fi.muni.cz | http://www.fi.muni.cz/~adelton/

                Boycott the Czech Telecom -- www.bojkot.cz