Re: Getting Role and Permissions from DB

From: <suisum_at_ecn.ab.ca>
Date: 3 Jan 99 18:19:30 GMT

Hi Thomas:

Please explain further. I have the following questions.

Thomas Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com) wrote:

: - use "create or replace" as opposed to drop/create whenever possible

: - use "views" instead of tables as the thing you grant on. Don't grant on
: tables, don't access table. Views can be 'created or replaced', tables cannot.
: You might also find you have to drop columns/rebuild tables much less frequently
: (you can save them up) as you can simply default the column value in the real
: table, remove the column from the view and the apps will be none the wiser.
: Same with adding columns and so on (these can be altered into the table and
: added to the right views).

Some people don't like to use view because they said that it could be very slow. In my previous job, the project manager didn't allow people to create view. But some people are in favour of using views. They created views almost on everything.

So, I'm very confused. Would you mind to guide us how to use view effectively, please?

Best regards, Received on Sun Jan 03 1999 - 12:19:30 CST