Net8 Listener Load Balancing

From: <toneczar_at_erols.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 17:49:53 GMT

Platform: Solaris 2.6
Version: 8.0.4

I've got MTS running, and now I want to set up a second listener process to handle more of the load, where the client will round-robin between the two listeners. The docs are very misleading on this. Finally Oracle Support sent me some docs on how to do this.

I've set up two Net8 Listeners, on ports 1721 and 1726. I've tested both and they're running properly, accept connections, logging, etc. Then I set up a client TNSNAMES.ORA file, per Oracle support. I can connect and tnsping to the individual standard entries on the server just fine. But when I try to connect or tnsping from the client to the "load balancer" address, I get the error, "TNS-03507: Failure looking for ADDRESS keyword" which the docs say means that Net8 cannot locate the ADDRESS entry. But ... I configured it straight from the examples sent to me by Oracle support.

Here's my tnsnames.ora entries. The entries for "dual1721" and "dual1726" work fine. The entry for "both" has the TNS-03507 error, probably from the "description_list" parameter, but this is how Oracle says to configure it.

# Load Balancer -- THIS DOES NOT WORK (TNS-03507) both =
  (description_list =
(description =

      (address = (protocol = tcp) (host = sun2) (port = 1721))
      (connect_data = (sid = WSS1))

    )
(description =
      (address = (protocol = tcp) (host = sun2) (port = 1726))
      (connect_data = (sid = WSS1))

    )
 )

# Port 1721 only -- THIS WORKS
dual1721 =
  (description =
(address = (protocol = tcp)(host = sun2)(port = 1721))
(connect_data = (sid = WSS1))

  )

# Port 1726 only -- THIS WORKS
dual1726 =
  (description =
(address = (protocol = tcp)(host = sun2)(port = 1726))
(connect_data = (sid = WSS1))

  )

Has anyone successfully implemented this configuration? Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

Chris Hamilton -- toneczar_at_erols.com
http://www.serve.com/cowpb/chamilton.html AVANCO International, Inc.