Re: Net8 Listener Load Balancing

From: <toneczar_at_erols.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 23:04:31 GMT

toneczar_at_erols.com wrote:

> I've set up two Net8 Listeners, on ports 1721 and 1726. I've tested both and
> they're running properly, accept connections, logging, etc. Then I set up a
> client TNSNAMES.ORA file, per Oracle support. I can connect and tnsping to
> the individual standard entries on the server just fine. But when I try to
> connect or tnsping from the client to the "load balancer" address, I get the
> error, "TNS-03507: Failure looking for ADDRESS keyword" which the docs say
> means that Net8 cannot locate the ADDRESS entry. But ... I configured it
> straight from the examples sent to me by Oracle support.

Oracle support did call back and offer an explanation. It seems that my configuration DOES work, but tnsping does not work with this configuration. The tech explained it thus: tnsping works at the network session level, while the app (say SQL*Plus) works at the network routing level. The config used to implement the load balancing doesn't make sense to tnsping, hence the error.

He's filing a bug report to make this clearer in future versions.

So if you want to implement load balancing, see my previous post for the tnsnames syntax.

Chris

Chris Hamilton -- toneczar_at_erols.com
http://www.serve.com/cowpb/chamilton.html City of Washington Pipe Band