Deleting from tables

From: Siva Prakash <sprakash_at_cellnet.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 17:20:11 +0000

Hi Oracle Gurus!

I am looking at a way to cleanup a table in our oracle database. Here is the scenario :

We get 800,000 rows into one of our tables on a daily basis. We are required to maintain 60 days worth data at any point of time. We want to eliminate the ones older than 60 days.. I know that deleting so many rows is time & resource consuming and our daily schedule does not allow us to run this process daily. We wanted to do this everyweekend. That makes it 800,000*7 rows to be deleted over the weekend.

We have tried writing PL/SQL committing for every 500 or 1000 records. It is time consuming. Given this case, what would be the most effective way to
get rid of data older than 60 days. Effective in terms of time and less fracturing
in the tablespace.

Any kind of help is appreciated !

Thanks,
Siva Received on Fri Dec 18 1998 - 11:20:11 CST