UNIX-Oracle script interface help

From: <sybaseuser_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1998/12/08

Hi,

Please excuse my email handle and help me with this Unix/Oracle shell script
(Korn) problem:

In my shell script I have:

#!/bin/ksh

LOGNAME=testid
PASSWORD=testpw
SPOOL_FILE=./test.log

sqlplus -s $LOGNAME/$PASSWORD <<!
spool $SPOOL_FILE
set heading off
set linesize 300

select 'E1', a.sls_org_cd, a.dist_chnl_cd,

       a.doc_crncy_cd,       a.cust_grp_cd, a.matl_cd,
       b.matl_nm

from table_a a, table_b b
where a.matl_id = b.matl_id;

spool off
!

echo "TEST"

Somehow the last line: echo "TEST" is being treated as a Oracle command and fed into Oracle and I got the following message in my output:

unknown command beginning "echo "TEST"" - rest of line ignored. For a list of known commands enter HELP and to leave enter EXIT.

I though the ! sign was sufficient to tell Oracle to exit the SQLPlus session
(this is how it is done in Sybase). If I put "exit" before the ! sign then
the entire UNIX script exits right there and the echo "TEST" statement doesn't get executed at all.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Calvin L.
sybaseuser_at_hotmail.com