Re: Oracle8 vs. MS Access

From: Brian Lavender <brian_at_brie.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 07:14:50 GMT

I don't suppose anyone could compare using Access as the Front End to Paradox. I am using paradox currently and it appears to have most the features I need. I am looking for a comparison. I heard Paradox's OPAL is superior to Access' VB, but I have never personally tried access.

brian

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998 17:04:50 -0800, "John Haskins" <76054.334_at_compuserve.com> wrote:

>After many years of programming Access front ends for Oracle databases, I
>started using Oracle's Develper/2000 to create forms & reports. Very nice.
>It has far fewer annoying quirks than Access, offers similar speed, and has
>all the advantages that come from the GUI knowing just about everything
>about its back end database. Not cheap, but worth it if you have to develop
>widely-distributed apps, IMHO.
>

>Piquet wrote in message <366C69D1.C957889A_at_bigpond.com>...
>>
>>Greg Williams wrote:
>>
>>> I have been asked to research the difference between using a Oracle8
>>> database vs. MS Access 97 database. If you could give me specifics on
>the
>>> differences and advantages/disadvantages of the two databases I would be
>>> most appreciative. Security opinions/detials would be a plus!
>>>
>>> Greg Williams
>>> Lambda Consulting
>>> greg.williams_at_lambaconsulting.com
>>
>>Where do you want to start?
>>Access 97 is not designed for a corporate data warehouse. Essentially, it
>is
>>useful for smaller, workgroup solutions, and also makes a good, easy to
>>develop front end. It is also extremely useful if you are interested in
>rapid
>>prototyping. The downside to Access is that it uses the client PC to
>perform
>>all of the data selection, updating etc. This means that generally, the
>>entire database is transmitted across the network, in order to obtain maybe
>>one record of information. Not the most efficient use of bandwith.
>>Another problem with Access, (and databases similar, Paradox, FoxPro,
>Dataflex
>>etc.) is that it relies on each individual client to ensure that the
>database
>>is maintained in a stable state. Transaction Rollback is not as effective,
>>and if client PC's crash, the database can continue on other PC's, however
>the
>>update may remain inconsistent.
>>
>>The strength of Oracle, and other like databases is that the Oracle Server
>is
>>the only means of accessing the data. This ensures that the database
>>integrity is more effectively maintained. Another advantage is that
>network
>>bandwith is more effectively utilised. By having a client submit a query,
>and
>>only the resulting dataset being transmitted over the network, the network
>>traffic is reduced. Further, the client utilises it's processor for what
>it
>>does best, managing the user interface, whilst the server does what it does
>>best, maintaining the database.
>>
>>Unfortunately, the complexity of Oracle is far greater than Access, and
>>requires some actual learning to be done. Yuk. Access 97 is simple to
>>install, and can be picked up quite quickly. A database administrator for
> [...]

Brian E. Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/

"For every complex problem, there is
a solution that is simple, neat, and
wrong." -- H. L. Mencken Received on Tue Dec 08 1998 - 01:14:50 CST