varchar2 field doesn't break lines in HTML table cell

From: Björn Nilsson <bjorn.w.nilsson_at_edt.ericsson.se>
Date: 1998/11/22

Hi all!

Hi all

I'm having problem with "pouring" the contents of a varchar2(2000) field in an Oracle 7.3 (containing a worklog full description) into a table cell with a fixed width using a ODBC connection (the MS flavour) and ASP. I have a slight feeling that the Database residing on a Unix machine can be part of the problem-source, but should that really matter?
The problem comes up when a paragraph written into the database is longer than the 600 pixels that I've set the width of the table cell to.
I've tried to CStr(rs_main("LONG_TEXT_FIELD")) to no avail. It still behaves like if it has <pre></pre> around it.

I've tried converting the linebreaks:
Replace(rs_main("LONG_TEXT_FIELD"),
vbNewLine, "<br>") which works as such but the problem remains. I've checked if there are normal spaces, and yes, there are normal spaces, which I also tried to replace with Replace(rs_main("LONG_TEXT_FIELD"), " ", Space(1)) to no avail.

If I for the sake of testing replace the dynamic filled in too wide text by simply copying it from the HTML-source and paste in into the asp page instead of <%= (rs_main("LONG_TEXT_FIELD") %> it of course works the way it should and it breaks inside my specified 600 pixels.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem, and if so, what is the solution to make the varchar2 fields behave like normal HTML textstrings when used inside a table cell.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers from a very wintery Sweden

Björn Received on Sun Nov 22 1998 - 00:00:00 CST