Re: ODBC drivers

From: <toffie_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 12:03:08 GMT

In article <72dbkc$a4p$1_at_kraken.itc.gu.edu.au>,   c.undieseastwood_at_gu.edu.au (Chris Eastwood) wrote:
> HiYa
>
> I was wondering if anyone knows what is the difference between level 1 and
> level 2 drivers??

This can be concerning compliance levels. ODBC dictates that the functions that get exported by a driver are divided in 3 levels: core level = bunch of crucial functions level1 = core level + another bunch of functions (you could do without but are handy) level2 = level1 + yet another bunch of functions (pure luxury functions)

when a driver supports all the level 1 functions it is said to be level 1 compliant. I never met a driver that could boast that it is level 2 compliant as it would then need to support all the functions that are described in the ODBC spec. Most drivers at this time are mature enough to be labeled as level 1. This is what most application also mention as prerequisite in order to use the driver. You can find out which functions need to be supported for each level in the ODBC SDK reference manual (downloadable via the ODBC SDK from www.microsoft.com\data\odbc)

Toffie..