Re: Slow deleting records

From: Alan D. Mills <alanm_at_uk.europe.mcd.mot.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 11:24:42 -0000

Certainly TRUNCATE TABLE tablename is your fastest mechanism for clearing the whole table but if your delete is taking so long then I wonder if any referential integrity rules or database triggers are cutting in to cascade the delete down to child tables or whatever. If so I'm not sure if TRUNCATE will do this or not.

Does use of TRUNCATE fire database triggers and referential integrity rules? I'd be interested to know if anyone knows for sure. Something to consider though, when clearing out your data.

--
Alan D. Mills