Re: Oracle Server backup question

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah_at_wolfenet.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 11:13:12 -0800

On 2 Nov 1998, Spitzer Andras wrote:

> I have an Oracle Database (8.0.3) on platform Irix 6.4, and I have
> to make backup of it. (ofcourse) I realized that I have chance to use
> the oracle utility called rman (Recovery Manager), or to use the unix
> command dd or tar. Of course first I would like to use the Oracle's
> software (rman), but it looks like this program can dump onto 'disc',
> or a special device, 'SBT_TAPE'. The disc is simply to understand, but
> this "special" device needs the Media Management Library to work. I have
> a Hewlett Packard Surestore tape, but I have no such a Media Management Library
> software for this device. (And I'm curious about if it's exist on Irix)
> The goal would be if I could tell to Oracle or rman to use an external
> program to make the backup. (Like dump, rdump, tar, dd) Someone made
> something like this before? Or is there a solution which can use the tape
> directly from Oracle without MML?

You can still do tablespace-by-tablespace Oracle7-style hot backups in Oracle8 without using a MML. See the Oracle8 Backup and Recovery Handbook. You can use all the common Unix tools you mentioned, and lots of people have made their shell and perl scripts for doing this publicly available.

--
Jeremiah Wilton http://www.wolfenet.com/~jeremiah Received on Mon Nov 02 1998 - 13:13:12 CST