Re: Oracle SQL Plus 3.3

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 28 Oct 1998 03:28:02 GMT

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998 00:00:43 GMT, dmay_at_chevron.com wrote:

>I just install this and want to setup databases local to my machine to
>practise SQL queries. How do I do this?

You need more than SQL*Plus in order to do this. SQL*Plus is an ad-hoc query tool. All it does is send SQL queries to the database to be executed. Actually, that's a bit of an oversimplification.

What O/S are you running? If Win95, then you best choice is to get your hands on a copy of Oracle8 Personal Edition. It will run on Win 95, and provides you with a reasonably full fledged Oracle database to play with. The only things you wont get are the object options, and maybe some of the other high-end items such as the Context cartridge. Oracle used to have a 30-day trial version that you could order, or download, from their web site (www.oracle.com).

If you are running Win NT, then you also have the option of installing the full-blown server version of Oracle. The trick is to get your hands on a copy.

If all you want to do is practice SQL queries, you may not even need a local database. Have you talked to your DBA? There may be a test database somewhere that you could get access to. Then you wouldn't have to deal with creating and maintaining it, and you could just practice SQL.

regards,

Jonathan Received on Tue Oct 27 1998 - 21:28:02 CST