Re: Shutdown Oracle on NT Server

From: OraSaurus <granaman_at_not_home.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:44:59 GMT

In article <70t672$glg$1_at_camel25.mindspring.com>, "Flipper" <flipper2000_at_mindspring.com> wrote:
>don't you have to alter archive mode for hot backups?

The database must be running in archivelog mode for hot backups. It is possible to start archiving, perform a hot backup, and then stop archiving though you will need to make the database temporarily inaccessible twice to do it. Also, be sure that this is actually what you want - it is not as trivial to restore as a cold backup, and it doesn't provide all the recovery options of full time archiving and hot backups.

Also, make sure you really understand hot backups. For example, be sure to "archive log all;" and "archive log current" after all the datafiles have been backed up, and to back up the archived log files generated during the hot backup along with the datafiles. Get a backup of the control file via "alter database backup controlfile to 'filename';. To see if you are ready for hot backups, ask yourself what to do with the online redo log files and how your might recover the database without them.

>Ed.Stevens_at_nmm.nissan-usa.com wrote in message
><6vafvc$eu2$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>>You're looking at this through the wrong end of the telescope. Oracle has its
>> own methods of backup, both hot (without stopping the database) and cold
>>(with the database stopped.) This is done with PL/SQL commands through
>>server manager. The following sequence will do a hot backup of one
>>tablespace:
>>
>>ALTER TABLESPACE data_tablespace BEGIN BACKUP;
>>
>>HOST OCOPY73 D:\ORANT\DATABASE\data_tablespace *.DBF
>E:\BACKUP\backup_area\
>>
>>ALTER TABLESPACE data_tablespace END BACKUP;

I wouldn't really call "ocopy" a "method". Its more of a PC utility. It is very rarely used and is appropriate primarily for small PC databases. (I didn't even know they still shipped it!). The basics of the above sequence are correct, but hot backups are a bit more complicated than just copying the data files one after another. (See above).