Re: Different ways of setting up a multi user database.

From: Thor <thor_at_echidna.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 20:54:12 -0700

I prefer to use synonyms to hide the name of the schema owner. This allows you to have more than one version of the schema loaded onto a single database. This can be useful in your "TEST" database, and also allows you to install the application on almost anyone's system. Just this summer we installed a small application (no names mentioned :^) that had a fixed schema, and wouldn't you know it, it was the same username as one of our clients! Try telling someone that you want to change their 5 yo userid!!!

Where possible, global, public synonyms are the easiest to manage. But you can create a script to create private synonyms very easily. It really varies depending on your goal. Designer/2000 uses private synonyms, allowing you to have multiple version of the CASE tool loaded on single system, very handy that!

Thor HW