Re: Help me choose a DB administration tool

From: K Arthur <karthur_at_erols.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 12:29:11 -0400

I have been using DBArtisan for about 18 months. It is a pretty complete package, although there are a few bugs and interface problems which still need to be resolved.

First of all, it assumes you have autoextend features turned on, so when it reverse engineers code you get an error message at the status pane telling you that a view does not exist..

Second, when extracting Owner creation scripts, it tends to duplicate various privileges which, when executed, will fail because it creates the SQL in a single grant script rather than multiple grant statements.

Third, I use DBArtisan to extract build scripts for all my databases, but it will not automatically create the SYSTEM tablespace script. I guess that's an idiot proof tool, but annoying that there is not a switch anywhere to turn on/off.

Overall, I really like the tool and would recommend it to anyone who wants a good, fairly intuitive, windows interface to the Oracle environment.

Ken Arthur
DBA
Innerbase Technologies, Inc.