Re: Developer program for Oracle?

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 16 Oct 1998 03:21:56 GMT

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998 13:26:36 GMT, timt_at_nospam.edu (Tim Triemstra) wrote:

>I read an article on a web magazine (Infoworld I think) that mentioned the web
>developers network for Oracle offering a $150/year service which provides all
>Oracle tools - similar to Microsofts MSDN subscription.

You don't get all Oracle tools. You pick an area of interest, and get the tools that fit that area. I picked "electronic commerce", so I got the database, web server, internet commerce server, and JDeveloper. There are no built-in 30 day restrictions, but there are some restrictions written into the license. If you developed a product and went to market, Oracle would want more money, and deservedly so.

So, where is this subscription, if it does indeed exist?

You should be able to find out about this by going to the following URL:

        http://technet.oracle.com

I'm not sure if the paid subscription is being offerred to the general public yet. Oracle grandfathered in people who paid for an earlier incarnation of this that was named the "Oracle Developer Programme". At some point after they were done with that, they were going to throw it open to the general public. I'm not sure where they are at in terms of doing that.

Jonathan Received on Thu Oct 15 1998 - 22:21:56 CDT