Re: Oracle Beginner

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 16 Oct 1998 03:16:23 GMT

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998 14:32:56 GMT, "AmandaC" <amandac_at_quagganet.com> wrote:

>Good Morning,
>I am wondering if anyone can answer these simple questions.
>What is Oracle exactly? What does it do?

Oracle is a relational database. It works just like Microsoft Access :)

>What is a cartridge and what does it do?

A "cartridge" is an add-on product to the database, and provides functionality not part of the core product. The term "cartridge" is used because the interface is well defined, and it's published. You could write your own cartridge if you had a specific need. If you identified a good niche market, you might be able to write a cartridge that implemented data types and functionality in support of that niche. You could then sells this cartridge, or use it to support your own product development.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan

p.s. Please don't anyone shoot me for that Access comment :)tc Received on Thu Oct 15 1998 - 22:16:23 CDT