Re: Could an oracle user (not admin) create a database?

From: Mark Wagoner <mwagoner_at_no.spam.iac.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 12:26:48 GMT

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998 07:35:09 GMT, Matthias.nospamScheerer_at_usa.net wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I'm new in oracle, so please excuse me if this question is too simple
>for you. I'm tired of visiting our oracle server admin when there's
>another database to create. May I create databases on myself? Is the
>oracle admin able to give me the rights to create a new database? What
>does he have to do?
>
>Thanks.
>Matthias Scheerer
>
>Please remove the nospam anwering by e-mail

If, by database, you mean actually issuing the CREATE DATABASE command and running CATALOG and CATPROC then, no, only SYS can do that. This is because since the database does not yet exist there is no other user.

If instead you mean create a tablespace and/or the table to go in them then, yes, you can be given those rights. But there may be a very good reason the administrator does not want you doing that. --
Mark Wagoner
To reply, remove no.spam from my e-mail address Received on Thu Oct 15 1998 - 07:26:48 CDT