Re: Large Directory Problem

From: Randall <aslan-zzz_at_pcmagic.net>
Date: 1998/10/05

Thank you Tim!

> As Scott said, if Randall is using FAT that will explain the abysmal
> performance -- he should certainly switch to NTFS, which will solve most all
> of the indexing issues even with very large numbers of files. He should also
> look into disabling 8.3 name creation on NTFS, as this can slow down
> directory operations on very large NTFS directories.

This is my situation. I had an imaging app that had to be online July 1. My server to implement this application was delivered to me around Sept. 15. I borrowed space on someone else's server as in interim solution (haven't missed a deadline yet, knock wood {Randall raps himself on the head}) I didn't bother to check if the server I borrowed the space on was FAT or NTFS until Scott pointed that out to me. The volume is NTFS. However, I have never heard of disabling 8.3 name creation on NTFS. I would be very grateful if you could explain the process to me. I am hoping to solve this problem before I migrate the application to its own server in about two weeks.

--
Best!

Randall

[Just my Dog and I at the Edge of the Universe]
(Remove "-zzz" from address when replying.)