trying to copy a long raw column

From: Jeremy Russell <jeremyr_at_no-spam-today-thanks.dircon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/10/04

I have a table set up with a 'Long Raw' column, that contains picture information. The pictures display just fine in D/2000 - however, I would like to copy selected rows from the table. Using the SQL statement

create table copy as select * from original

only produces the error "ORA-00997: illegal use of LONG datatype" - if I create with "where 1=0" - I get the same - if I create a fresh and empty table and "insert into copy select * from original" - I get just the same again.

How am I using the LONG datatype illegally?

The version is Personal Oracle 8.0.4 - on Win98 - and the original table looks like this:

SQL> desc cars

 Name                            Null?    Type
 ------------------------------- -------- ----
 REGISTRATION                    NOT NULL CHAR(8)
 MODEL                           NOT NULL CHAR(8)
 CAR_GROUP                       NOT NULL CHAR(2)
 DATE_BOUGHT                              DATE
 COST                                     NUMBER(6)
 MAINT_INT                                NUMBER(5)
 MILES_TO_DATE                            NUMBER(6)
 PICTURE                                  LONG RAW

All advice gratefully accepted....

JR Received on Sun Oct 04 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT