Re: Oracle Database Setup

From: <suisum_at_freenet.edmonton.ab.ca>
Date: 20 Sep 1998 19:10:18 GMT

Hi:

  1. I use Data Assistant Manager to create the database.
  2. When they prompt to ask "Whether update the TNSNAME.ORA?" Say yes. The TNSNAME.ORA in NET8 directory should be updated.
  3. You'll find two TNSNAME.ORA in the machine. One is in %ORACLE_HOME%NET8 and another in %ORACLE_HOME%Network. For myself, I copy the TNSNAME.ORA, listener.ora,in NET8 to the network directory.
  4. Go to Control Panel | Services. Shut down the Listener for Net 8, Start the Listener for SQL*NET2.3.

You may not need to do point 3. and 4. by adding a new variable TNS_ADMI in window registry.

Anyway, examine the TNSNAME.ORA first.

Wallace B. McClure (wallym_at_mindspring.com) wrote:
: Hello all,

: I have installed Oracle 8 onto a WindowsNT system. I can connect to the
: ORCL sid fine. I have used the database assistant to create a db called
: ABC. From that, and service is created and is running. When I attempt
: to connect to the ABC sid, I recieve an error stating that the
: TNS:listener could not find the service, or something along those
: lines. How do I diagnose this problem? What are the steps to solving
: it? I have looked through documentation and several books and when I
: attempt to go through the database creation process as outlined, I
: recieve the same error message. Any help is appreciated.

: Wally

--
Best regards, Received on Sun Sep 20 1998 - 14:10:18 CDT