A SQL question.

From: Zhang Yiquan <ancient_97_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 14:14:43 GMT

Hi all.

I would appreciate any help available on this problem.

I have to print some data as a report using an SQL statement. It's a line-item and control break kind of report. For example I have these...

Type	CodeNo		Price
A2	0912			14.00
A2	0913			16.00
A2	0914			15.00
A4	1150			25.00
A2	0916			18.00
A4	1152			29.00
A4	1153			29.00

How would I make a query so that I can get the results returned as sorted by Type and then CodeNo with a running serial count for each Type? For example....

Report Title

Count	Type	CodeNo		Price
1	A2	0912			14.00
2	A2	0913			16.00
3	A2	0914			15.00
4	A2	0916			18.00
1	A4	1150			25.00
2	A4	1152			29.00
3	A4	1153			29.00

The thing here is HOW to produce that Count column that would reset at every change in Type? I've tried grouping and ordering and even rownum, but just cannot get it to reset to 1 at every change in Type.

Thanks in advance! Received on Fri Sep 18 1998 - 09:14:43 CDT