Re: Project Cascade vs Oracle 8i vs Samba?

From: Jon Piesing <jon_at_prl.philips.co.uk>
Date: 1998/09/16

David Collier-Brown (davecb_at_canada.sun.com) wrote:

: Jon Piesing wrote:

: > We bought our current NT server mainly because the NT people wanted
: > file level ACLs and none of the Unix packages offering NT file
: > serving included file level ACLs.

: 	It's probably true that a file with acls set
: 	properly will be honored by ANY server running
: 	on unix.

As far as our PC people were concerned, a Unix server would only be acceptable if the handling of file level ACLs was >95% identical to an NT server from the point of view of their users.

At the time, none of the NT servers for Unix supported the NT protocols for file level ACLs even if they were running on a Unix box which did support file level ACLs.

Jon Received on Wed Sep 16 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT