Re: Project Cascade vs Oracle 8i vs Samba?

From: David Collier-Brown <davecb_at_canada.sun.com>
Date: 1998/09/16

Jon Piesing wrote:
> We bought our current NT server mainly because the NT people wanted
> file level ACLs and none of the Unix packages offering NT file
> serving included file level ACLs.

	It's probably true that a file with acls set
	properly will be honored by ANY server running
	on unix.

	On Solaris, a file foo (-rw-r--r--)
	is readable by the ``nobody'' user, unlesss
	you say
$ setfacl  -m user:nobody:--- foo
	then it's permissions are:
$ getfacl foo
-rw-r--r--+  1 davecb   staff          0 Sep 16 09:27 foo

# file: foo

# owner: davecb
# group: staff
user::rw-
user:nobody:---         #effective:---
group::r--              #effective:r--

mask:r--
other:r--
	Samba can't set the ACLs: I suspect
	it honors them, because it doesn't have
	much choice.

	The converse may not be true: you may
	nt be able to weaken the restrictions
	set by chmod via ACLs.

--dave

--
David Collier-Brown,  | Cherish your enemies.  They're harder to
185 Ellerslie Ave.,   | come by than friends and more motivated.