Re: SQL date inquiry

From: Joe Brown <NoSpamMeVeryMuch_at_leading.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 16:05:04 GMT

A date field isn't a character string you have been using it.

I don't have all the rules for type conversion in my head, but that's what has to hapen when you compare a date with a string.

Appearently the like operator is forcing the conversion where the = doesn't.

select mydate form mytable where mydate=to_date('25-aug-98')

If your date columns contain time, the above comparision will fail.

Time defaults to 12:00am for dates. If you have time, then you need to check for the date being between date=> and <date +1.

I've got a nasty looking algorythem that works. It converts date to char adds 1, then converts back to date to do the arithmatic. I'd love to see a simpler solution.

--
joebrown
@leading.net Received on Wed Sep 16 1998 - 11:05:04 CDT