interesting SQLNET problem

From: <TheKarma_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 21:41:09 GMT

Hi,
We have a Oracle 7.3 instance called "Risk" on Sun machine. The tnsnames alias for this is also called "Risk".

The problem is, if we try to connect to the database using userid/password_at_risk, i.e. by explicitly giving the connect string, the system hangs for about 5 mintutes to 20 minutes before we get sqlplus prompt. but if export the oracle_sid=risk and connect just by using userid/password it is quick(which it should be). What could possibly the problem?

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.