trying to output to file via web using PL/SQL

From: Eric Schlene <eschlene_at_purdue.edu>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 17:01:31 -0500

I'm having a nightmare trying to get this to work. I've had some direction from this NG but with no sucess. so I apologize for hitting you all up again for help...but here goes.

I need to send PL/SQL output via the Oracle Web Server to an end user's workstation. I'd like to use the browser to do this, triggering via PL/SQL the "save-as" dialog box on the browser. I've tried a half dozen different approaches, even trying to, as advised on the NG, trick the browser into thinking this is a specific file using a package/procedure name (e.g., fileit.txt).

In any case, here's what I've got. I've left the three owa_util.mime_header calls in place with comments as to what results I get from each. My browser's application settings are set to interpret MIME text/Save-As as a write to disk call.

Eric Schlene

CREATE OR REPLACE PACKAGE BODY fileit AS

   PROCEDURE txt IS

      v_func VARCHAR2(10000);
   BEGIN
      owa_util.mime_header( 'text/save-as' ); -- gives document contains no data
-- owa_util.mime_header( 'text/plain' ); -- lines as entered, +
<BODY> and </BODY>
-- owa_util.mime_header( 'text/html' ); -- html formatted text
w/o <BODY>...

      htp.BodyOpen;
      v_func := '
This is a test     01